Friday, March 20, 2009

Things I Will Miss about Living in China...

In addition to the more obvious things I will miss such as friends and students, I have written a short list of daily life happenings that I will dearly miss...

1. Rou bao, dan bing, hong shao rou...and many other Chinese foods

2. My bike, Hong Long (Red Dragon), and riding it everywhere at all times of day

3. Speaking Chinese everyday

4. Sharing food--most Chinese meals consist of several dishes, which everyone eats

5. Random job opportunities, i.e. voice recordings, modeling, acting gigs that just pop-up

6. Constantly meeting new people from all over the world

7. My schedule!

8. $1 DVDs

9. Walking into a store like Gucci in my running gear and not being snubbed

10. How easy it is to keep a healthy lifestyle, i.e. biking, running twice a weak, eating well, cheap preventative health care like acupuncture and cupping

11. $2.50 for a hair wash, head massage, and straightening my hair

12. Chinese English names, i.e. Stone, Grubby, Gandalf, Alert, Hajji, Clitty (really did have a student named this!)

13. Daily witnessing history---in the buildings, lake, and legends

14. Always learning and trying something new

15. Public transportation, although not always the best, is readily available and cheap

16. Teaching and the hilarious and amazing things that happen in the classroom

TO BE CONTINUED...